Did you know Socrates contributed immensely to our modern-day Philosophy?. Socrates’s quotes are full of moral values for everyone, especially the youth.
Who Is Socrates?
There have been quite a number of ancient philosophers whose legacies radiates through this modern generation. Did You know Socrates quotes still have valuable lessons for our youth today?.
Spending too much time having a kind of fun on social media that doesn’t teach you any value lesson; why not read about something philosophical? There are several deep life quotes that can teach our youths valuable lessons to live wisely.
On the other hand, there is a bunch of irrelevant stuff out there. They don’t need your precious time. Search for things that will help you become wise, successful, and happy.
And here I introduce you to some of the best Socrates quotes you and I have to know.
Socrates was born in Athens – Greece somewhere around 470 BC. However, there is no exact date of his birth known. This Greek Philosopher contributed immensely to what we know today as modern philosophy. You can read some quick facts about modern philosophy by visiting “UiB”
He had a great sense of justice. He often proved to the Jurors that their moral values were wrong. People, therefore, named him the “father of political philosophy and ethics.”
His philosophies were ideally about ethics or morality. And as a matter of fact, our modern generation dearly needs this man’s teachings. He gave us some of the wise quotes you could ever find.
He made no writings of his own, instead one of his students, “Plato” brought his teachings and ideologies into the limelight.
In the year 399 BC, Socrates was charged with ‘corrupting the minds of the youth, and he himself not believing in the gods in Athens.’
Socrates was sentenced to death by drinking poisoned hemlock. He humbly accepted that tragic fate in order to protect his legacies. His death was similar to John the Baptist.
Some Well-Known Socrates Quotes For You
Now, I will share a well-known Socrates quotes with you. His quotes are full of wisdom, just like reading the book of Proverbs of King Solomon.
When you walk with the wise you will be wise. And when you search for wisdom you will find it. To make this very statement short I will say “knowledge is power.”
1. “When you want wisdom and insight as badly as you want to breathe, it is then you shall have it.” – Socrates
2. “Be the kind of person that you want people to think you are.” – Socrates
3. “One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him.” – Socrates
4. “Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers.” – Socrates
5. “He is rich who is content with the least; for contentment is the wealth of nature.” – Socrates
6. “An education obtained with money is worse than no education at all.” – Socrates
Socrates Quotes About Youths
In his lifetime, you could see Socrates had some of the greatest advice for the youths in his days. Socrates quotes about youths in ancient days are fully relevant in our 21st century. Here I have selected a few for our today’s youth.
7. “By all means marry. If you get a good wife you will become happy, and if you get a bad one you will become a philosopher.” – Socrates
8. “Are you not ashamed of heaping up the greatest amount of money and honor and reputation, and caring so little about wisdom and truth and the greatest improvement of the soul?” – Socrates
9. “Prefer knowledge to wealth, for the one is transitory, the other perpetual. – Socrates
10. “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.” – Socrates
11. “Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.” – Socrates
I Hope these wise quotes from Socrates send good message and inspiration into your life. He would forever be remembered for his sense of justice and moral excellence
Before I leave you, I think you may also be interested in my article about cute quotes that can spice your day with hope and genuine inspiration.
His contribution to modern philosophy would never be forgotten. I believe every youth living must know something about Socrates.