Time to find and understand your spiritual gifts. God gives his gifts free of charge. These gifts show a lot of signs on the person in question and the church at large.
As a Christian, discovering your spiritual gifts doesn’t happen for no reason. Very often we do not receive gifts from strangers. In most cases, we receive gifts from people close to us. The Holy Spirit is not a stranger to Christians. We are His Children. He knows us. He loves us and delights in our well-being.
Gifts are always free. We do not have to work for gifts but we work with gifts. Spiritual gifts are given to us by God according to his grace.
“As every man hath received the gift, [even so] minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.”( 1 Peter 4:10).
God doesn’t gift us on the basis of spiritual maturity or education. He gifts us according to his grace. By the way, if you need spiritual growth in your Christian life, you can learn how to grow spiritually to strengthen your relationship with God.
There are different types of spiritual gifts the Holy Spirit distribute to believers of the Christian faith. It is not anyone who gets spiritual gifts (non-believers) so if you get this gift, you must honor it and use it appropriately.
It is a great pleasure for me today to share with you to understand what spiritual gifts are and how you can use your spiritual gifts to glorify God.
What Is Spiritual Gift?
A spiritual gift is a divine endowment of special ability for service upon a member of the “body of Christ” (Church). It is an ability to function effectively in a particular service. Understand that your spiritual gifts are for the profit and edification of the body of Christ.
Spiritual gifts come from God and the recipient is the believers. If You know your spiritual gifts, you must use them appropriately.
The Holy Spirit gives spiritual gifts to believers;
1. To equip them for the job of ministry.
2. To help mankind on a spiritual level.
3. To be used for God’s glory. He manifests himself through the execution of your spiritual gifts.
Talking about spiritual gifts, the Bible made it clear in 1 Corinthians 12. When we read, we will understand that there are diversities of spiritual gifts and differences in administration but the same Lord. Amen.
Understanding The Difference Between Your Spiritual Gifts And Talents
Most often, Christians get confused with spiritual gifts and talents. They think of them as the same thing. Which is not so. Some believe natural talent evolves to become a spiritual gift during conversion. It is really unclear to many Christian believers.
What is the difference between talents and spiritual gifts?. Now, listen attentively; Talents are talents and a Christian can dedicate his talent to the Lord and use it to bring glory to him. Spiritual gifts are dispensed to believers in Christ Jesus.
I want to make it clear that, an unbeliever may have the talent to help people with their needs. Ex. A professor who imparts knowledge to people. Execution of his talent has no spiritual blessing and growth.
This teacher might be an atheist but a talented teacher. His professionalism is to help people on NATURAL grounds. Talents benefit mankind on the natural level, not the spiritual level. Power and blessings are missing where there is natural talent ONLY.
Different Types Of Spiritual Gifts?
I believe your spiritual gifts will fall within one of the lists below. In 1 Corinthians, we get to know about 9 different spiritual gifts that the Holy Spirit gives. The Bible also made a list in Romans 12:6-8:
“And we have different gifts according to the grace given to us. If the gift is prophecy, that individual must use it in proportion to his faith.
-If it is service, he must serve; if it is teaching, he must teach;
if it is an exhortation, he must exhort; if it is contributing, he must do so with sincerity; if it is leadership, he must do so with diligence; if it is showing mercy, he must do so with cheerfulness.”
There is the spiritual gift of:
1. Prophecy: Prophets are the voice of God to the people. In the old testament, most of the prophets used their gifts to foretell the future. It shouldn’t surprise you why all the prophecies about the savior got fulfilled in the New Testament.
However, in the New Testaments, a prophet was more into exhorting for the present than predicting the future.
2. Service: This is also known as the gift of helping and ministering. If the spiritual gift you have is for services; Then you have to help the needy, and assist them in their work in the Lord. Have time for the sick, poor, aged, widows and orphans. People with these gifts are full of compassion for those in need.
3. Teaching: Is your spiritual gift a gift of teaching?. Then you have one of the greatest responsibilities. You must interpret the word of God to the flock. You must have the ability to explain and apply the truth received from God to the Church.
4. Exhortation: Believers with this spiritual gift can encourage or give inspiration to down-hearted people. When challenges or temptations arise people with this gift can help a great deal. Remember that Barnabas is referred to as, “son of encouragement“(Acts 4:36).
5. Giving: Those with this gift are very popular in our societies. They are blessed with possessions to help the poor. In one of my old posts, I talked about why you should give. Give cheerfully and sacrificially like Dorcas in the Bible(Acts 9:36).
6. Evangelist: An evangelist is the one who announces the good news using his special gift of preaching. He has the ability to win souls for Christ Jesus.
7. Pastor: The word pastor is derived from the root meaning of “protect”, which is a shepherd. A pastor must feed, care for his flock, and protect them from false prophets and doctrines. He must give spiritual leadership to the flock of God as well.
These are not all the spiritual gifts for Christians. Did you find your spiritual gifts in the above lists? There are more such as the spiritual gifts of wisdom, knowledge, Faith, Healing, etc. If not, you can remind me or share yours with me in the comment box.
Discovering Your Spiritual Gifts
Sometimes it is hard for Christians to discover their spiritual gifts. They are ignorant of their spiritual gifts and so live in spiritual poverty.
The process of discovering your spiritual gifts involves faith, prayer, knowledge, desire, ability, and blessing.
Spiritual gifts are received by faith not feelings. Just as the bible has said; walk by faith not by sight.
Don’t be discouraged if you are unable to figure out the spiritual gifts hidden inside you. Prayer is the key to unlocking anything hindering your spiritual and physical life. Pray to God,” God show me my gift to use it to glorify your name. Remember, the Holy Spirit gifts us according to His will:
“It is one and the same Spirit, distributing as he decides to each person, who produces all these things”(1 Corinthians 12:11).
Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give the desire of your heart. (Psalms 37:4).
If you find your spiritual gifts and use them according to God’s will; He will bless you abundantly. Let his will be done always.
Finally, the gifts of God are not for competition but the unification of the Church under the same Spirit.
Insightful Spiritual Gifts Verses For Christians
You can ponder over these spiritual gifts verses daily.
1. Ephesians 4:11:
“It was he who gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers”(Spiritual gifts about prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers.
2. 1 Peter 4:11:
“Whoever speaks, let it be with God’s words. Whoever serves, do so with the strength that God supplies, so that in everything God will be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong the glory and the power forever and ever”. Amen.
3. Romans 12:6-8:
” And we have different gifts according to the grace given to us. If the gift is prophecy, that individual must use it in proportion to his faith.
7. If it is service, he must serve; if it is teaching, he must teach;
8. if it is exhortation, he must exhort; if it is contributing, he must do so with sincerity; if it is leadership, he must do so with diligence; if it is showing mercy, he must do so with cheerfulness.”
In summary, God has good plans for every believer. He distributes the Spiritual gifts according to his will. If You haven’t found your spiritual gifts, don’t be dismayed. Like I said; Faith, prayers, desire, etc can propel you to discover your spiritual gifts.
And remember to search for your gifts in the house of God, not anywhere else to fall prey to familiar spirits.
Did you find, this article helpful?. If “Yes”, then don’t forget to share. I welcome your comments, contributions, and feedback. Stay blessed.